This page shows pictures and info (as I add it) of my 1969 Williams Spooks Rifle game that I got from my friends Carole and Kevin Carroll of Lyons Classic Pinball in Lyons, Colorado.  They picked up the non-working game at a pretty good price with the idea of fixing it up.  Lucky for me, they knew I was looking for a rifle game and they needed the space, so they simply gave it to me.  Wow, can't go wrong with a deal like that.  Of course, if I decide to sell it, they get first crack at getting it back, but first I have to get the game fixed up and running.

I think it's going to take awhile to get the game working since it's an old (1969) EM rifle game and stuff is missing (plus it doesn't work).  It has some missing cardboard backgrounds and some others that are stained and torn, so I plan to scan the cardboards, stitch the scans together when necessary, and then print the images on a large label paper and apply them to thick poster board.  I'll paint the colored areas with either fluorescent paint or fluorescent markers similar to the originals.  Better than having nothing or ripped up stuff, so we'll have to see how that works out.  I'll show the details as I do them.

I don't show the actual backglass in some of the game pictures because I removed it to patch up some flaking and scratched artwork.  The backglass isn't bad though.

Paint appears to really be shot on this game.  Glossy black trim paint is flaking off rather easily and will need to be repainted after scraping off the paint that's already there.  I plan to make stencils of the "spooks" and "bats" so that it will look quite a bit better.  The paint is extremely faded and chipping quite a bit so I plan to repaint the whole cabinet.  I'll probably use a latex enamel paint and roll it on, then apply the red and white stencil paints.

One thing about this game is that it is extremely heavy!  The specs on the game said it weighed 320 pounds and I believe it. Most of the pictures you see below are AFTER I cleaned the cabinet up with Bleche White to remove all the brown dirt and crud on the game.  It did quite a good job at cleaning the game.  I have some of the early "before" pics and I'll see if I can scour up a few of the original ones showing how dirty the game was.  Still a good deal for when I get this game working.  Can't beat free.

First, here are some pictures of the game in its initial non-working state:

(click picture to enlarge)

 
Front of the game showing
the coin door.  A heavy chain for
a lockbar?

 

 

Left front showing
the rifle and the scorewheels.
Note the "plumbers tape" used
to hold the wood together in
the center.

 

Left front of game.

 

 

Left side of game.  Notice
the flaking black paint
around the front frame.

 

View looking inside the glass.

 

Left side view.

 

 
Back of the game. I already
repaired the back door and
installed a lock.  Also added
a piece of plywood where the back
of the game was missing. This is
to keep the carriage from falling out.

 

 
Piece of torn fluorescent cardboard
inside the game.  This is on the
right side of the game when
viewed from the rear of the game,
and the left side artwork is
completely missing.

 

Back lower section of plywood
is removed to show the "carriage"
where the bottom section slides out.


 

 

Relays on backbox door.
 

 

Another view of the relays also showing
the mirror and back of the scorewheels.

 

View of scorewheels from the back.

 

Scorewheels and mirror.

 

"Translite" and moving targets
mounted on the carriage assembly.

 

Translite removed showing movable targets.
 

 

This is a stitched set of scans
of the wide cardboard artwork
found on the carriage.



 

 

Here is the same artwork
with the image cleaned up.
I will use fluorescent markers
to highlight areas that are
yellow, orange, pink, and red
similar to what was done on
the original cardboard artwork.

 

 

 

 

 

 

All Graphics & Text Steve Corley

The pictures you see were created by Steve Corley unless otherwise noted.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited